Saturday, October 3, 2015

Analyzing My Own Assumptions

In this post below I will be analyzing my own assumptions of the article "Why Doctors Are Sick of Their Profession".

National Cancer Institute. "Doctor Consults with Patient". 8/3/2005. Public Domain.


What cultural values, beliefs, etc. do you share with the culture in which the text was written. Why have they endured?
I agree a lot with the problem that was addressed in this article. The author believes that you should be happy in life if you work hard for what you want. He then talks about how he worked so hard to become a doctor because it was a noble title that he thought he would enjoy, yet the corrupt hospital system in the U.S. makes it very hard for him to enjoy his job.

What values or beliefs do you not share? Why not?
Although I do agree that you should be rewarded for hard work, I do not agree that you should pursue a profession because it is "noble" of because it pays well, which I believe the author did in a sense.

If text was written in another culture, what beliefs or values connect to your own culture? What is different from your culture?
I think that a doctor is one of the highest esteemed jobs worldwide. Among all cultures, doctors are held above most because of the amount and rigor of schooling that they have to undergo to become an MD. I believe that doctors that come from other culture or countries are treated differently than they are in the U.S.. Medical care systems in other parts of the world seem to operate at a better level than that of the U.S. which makes me believe that this issue would not present in other parts of the world.

If the text is written in your culture but in a different historical time, how have the values or beliefs changed over time?
In my opinion, I believe that this would never have been an issue in the past. Hospitals and medical care are not running as efficiently as they could be and because of that it is creating a lot of problems for patients, doctors and anyone associated. I think that hospitals used to run at a better rate than the do now and were putting a lot less stress on the doctors than they are now. I see it as a broke system that is forcing a hard time on all of the doctors, unlike it used to.

Reflection:
Savannah's post talked about the idea of genetically modifying babies to carry certain desirable traits. She expressed her belief that only mother nature should decide the characteristics of newborns. I commented on her post agreeing with her on this point because I believe that altering genes in any way could cause problems far greater than we would know how to solve. I also commented on Morgan's post. She expressed her opinion on the use of physical abuse in parenting. She believes that physical abuse should not be used. I left a comment agreeing with her because I believe that there are other parenting techniques out there that produce a better result in the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment